Skip to main content

Beer Belly or Soda Belly?

After watching Dr. Robert H. Lustig's 1 hour 29 minute 36 second lecture titled: Sugar: The Bitter Truth, I learned 2 bitter truths. Truth Number 1: Dr. Lustig pronounces the "fruc" in fructose to rhyme with "truck". Therefore we are consuming copious amounts of fruck-tose. Truth Number 2: Stop eating it today!

I knew fructose was bad for humans, but was mesmerized by Dr. Lustig's presentation, even the biochemistry segment. My brain was able to metabolize all of his information. (Unlike our bodies which metabolize fructose as fat. Fructose's fraternal twin brother is Ethanol. So if you want to know what happens to fructose in your body, just think about how your body reacts to several of your favorite alcoholic beverages with only minor differences. Only the liver can metabolize fructose, therefore it's a toxin. To quote the good doctor, "Fructose is ethanol without the buzz."

I want to read every food label now before purchasing packaged foods. I want to purge my pantry of fructose lurking in cans, boxes and jars. I'm tempted to forego my Weight Watcher Diet in favor of the Paleolithic Diet of eating only raw foods.

Fructose is a very serious opponent to our health. In fact, it's toxic. It's lethal. It can start before birth. We worry about crack babies, why not the same concern for fructose babies?

According to Dr. Lustig, "Fat does not cause fat. Fructose causes fat." It is addictive because it tricks our brains into thinking we are hungry. So we eat more fructose and in a vicious cycle, we no longer can trust our satiety signals.

So why does the FDA allow fructose to be in our foods? I learned in the lecture that the FDA gave fructose GRAS status. (Generally Regarded As Safe) Their reasoning is that fructose is a chronic toxin and they only regulate acute toxins! Do members of the FDA have families? Do they care about their own health?

And what about the USDA? Their job is to sell food, so putting them in charge is like the fox watching the hen house. Just possibly the members of Club USDA have too much fat in their brains and pockets.

In Weight Watchers I learned that a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. In Sugar: The Bitter Truth, I learned that a calorie is not a calorie. There are good carbs and bad carbs. Glucose is the energy of life, while fructose will hasten your death.

I'm going to leave you with my favorite quote from the lecture and a Call to Action. Dr. Lustig preached, "When God made the poison (fructose), he also made the antidote (fiber). I urge you, my readers, to eat more fiber and be a voice to end fructose in our food. God help us all.


Contact Sandra Seeley today.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Future Champions

We All Need Inspirational Stories, Even Humor Columnists I thought I would tell a story that is near and dear to my heart. A while back, my older brother Patrick, wise in years of experience, gave me a small digital voice recorder for my personal note taking. While sitting around the table, reading the instructions and figuring out which buttons to push, he decided to give me an example of how the new technology works. So Patrick searched for something that he could read into the mic. It was at this time that he was reading a motivational book titled, What to Say When You Talk to Your Self , by Shad Helmstetter , PH.D. Skimming through the pages, he settled on a section of the book that begins with, "I can do anything I believe I can do!" and ends with, "I am an exceptional human being." Talk about killing two birds with one stone, oops, no killing birds here. But it was great to be able to see and hear how the voice recorder functioned as well as hearing the ve

Dear Dad

I'm a steelworker's daughter, the first of the baby-boomer generation, raised on my Dad's WWII Navy stories, who misses him more every year. He sailed on his final voyage twenty years ago, today. There are countless things I would like him to know, so Dad, this one's for you: Dear Dad, You joined the Navy because of the attack on Pearl Harbor. You would be devastated to know about the attack on 9/11/2001, in the heart of New York City and all the senseless attacks in our schools, churches, movie theaters, marathons, transportation systems, police forces and on random individuals. How fervently you would have prayed your daily Rosary for peace. Do you know that every man, woman and child now carries a cell phone, including me? They are no longer the size and weight of gold bars (roughly 27 pounds), but fit easily in pockets and purses. I can just see you shaking your head at technology. I remember how I used to love watching you develop pictures in your dark

Circle of Life

The sun rolling high Through the sapphire sky Keeps great and small on the endless round "From the day we arrived on this planet, The Circle of Life is moving us all." And yesterday our family circle widened, with many of us witnessing the surprise proposal as Brandon, on bended knee, asked for Jessica's hand in marriage with a sapphire and diamond ring. It was an emotional day filled with love, tears of joy and laughter. Two families are now in the early stages of blending. We get to share treasured stories with fresh ears to hear. Our family gains a new son, grandson, brother, cousin, etc. Our daughter, Jessica, gains a second family of loving relatives. Exciting plans will soon begin while "visions of sugarplums dance in our heads." Wedding date, church, hall, gown, music, flowers, parties, colors, food, guest lists, invitations, oh my! I've already started a mental list: lose more weight, learn to dance, earn more money and shop for my d